So long, and thanks for all the fish (feasts)!

Posted in Blog on Jan 19, 2010

Although this shouldn't really come as a shock to anyone who's noticed that there hasn't been an update here in months, Unbearably HoT is closed for business–for now. Back in October when I initially stopped posting, I had canceled my WoW subscription. I figured hey, it's been 3.5 years, I somehow landed a husband via raiding, my office workload tripled, I didn't have the energy to raid in the capacity I like to, and I ostensibly had no regrets moving on.

Except that really, I did. When you're involved in not only a game, but a community, for that long, it's very difficult to walk away from. I truly didn't expect the e-mails I received asking where I'd been, if I'd be updating my gear list, or when I'd start posting again. For that, thank-you. But ask any blogger out there, especially Kalon, who has also recently stepped off the feral stage, and they'll happily explain that you generally can't crank out a post in an hour and expect it to be any good. My process normally went a little like this:

1. Come up with an idea and sit on it for a week.
  2. Finally write a few paragraphs to see whether or not anything interesting or helpful can come of it. (I really cannot begin to express how many things I've started writing about and eventually shelved, whether because my writing was terrible or because someone else posted about something similar; my flash drive is full of attempts such as these.)
  3. Research. Sometimes it's as simple as digging through blue posts and the latest WoW news. Sometimes, it means taking out a calculator. For what it's worth, I am absolutely terrible at even simple math, and any post that included such numbers received triple proofing.
  4. Proof.
  5. Fret over previous step, and send to someone else to read over (generally my husband or Phaelia).
  6. Create images, if the post needs any. This involves some quality time with the usually broken model viewer and Photoshop.
  7. Upload images, format post.
  8. Publish.

And, of course, this all takes time. With the economy such as it is, many of us are working twice as hard for the same amount of money. I've also been working on my own writing, in hopes of a future publication. I cannot currently justify expending the effort that you, my audience, deserves on any sort of a regular schedule. Will that change in the future when things slow down? More than likely! In the meantime, thanks for all the support, and don't let your fellow raiders convince you to use your offspec for any Restoration purposes.

If you have any questions or comments about this whole feral business (or hey, just me!), you can still shoot me an e-mail, track me down in game, or follow me on Twitter.

• At 2010.01.19 13:11, Kaethir said:

/me bows before you.

I hope you can find the time in the future to come back!

• At 2010.01.21 12:12, Runycat said:

Thanks!

• At 2010.01.19 13:13, Tullamoredew said:

Damn.
      You created what is easily one of my favorite Druid blogs out there. While it was obvious you have moved on, I was surprised how bummed out I felt when I saw this post.
      I will miss your smarts and style.
      No one has ever got me pumped up and horny about video games like you have. No, I don’t feel awkward saying that.
      Unbearably Hot is a perfect name.
      I remember thinking I was just going to be seeing a bunch of lame double entendres, but instead they were all awesome.
      All of them.
      So, now I’m gonna go Face-Tank some dungeons, smash some glass bottles, high-five a bunch of randoms and pounce my girlfriend when she walks in the door.
      And I’ll try not to think of you… ;)

May you have success and fun in all your endeavors.
      Take care Hot Stuff.

BIE now? :P

• At 2010.01.21 12:11, Runycat said:

Wow. I definitely got a chuckle out of reading this.

Thanks a lot, and don’t tell your girlfriend you’re cheating on her with some other pussy (cat).

• At 2010.01.19 13:14, Petal said:

*hugs*

I hate to see you go, Runy, but totally get it. Sad to see another great feral druid blogger put down their pen, so to speak.

• At 2010.01.21 12:09, Runycat said:

=D Thanks, but there are definitely some other bloggers who will pick up the slack (I think).

I’ll see you around on Twitter and such.

• At 2010.01.19 13:40, Kayeri said:

Hey, Runy, I had noticed but I knew real life had a lot going on for you, too, and I’m the patient sort… mostly… :)

And btw, whats wrong with Resto??? ::giggle::

• At 2010.01.21 12:08, Runycat said:

Let’s face it: it’s pretty easy to make fun of moonkin and trees, if only for the forms alone. I actually haven’t played Resto at all in this expansion, so I’m really not aware of how much it’s changed beyond what I’ve read and seen. Even when I raided as a tree (for a thankfully short period of time), it just wasn’t something I enjoyed. If I wanted to heal, I’d play my Paladin full time.

Are you still on DH? I have my Rogue, Verstohlen, and my Paladin, Dorkasaurus, there.

• At 2010.01.19 13:43, Phaedra said:

Best of luck to you. I will miss your highly entertaining posts and thoughtful theorycrafting. Thank goodness for Twitter!

And perhaps, one day, in a cross realm BG, I’ll face off against your Horde character…and probably get my butt handed to me because I am terrible at PvP.

• At 2010.01.21 12:04, Runycat said:

Fortunately, I post absolutely retarded and semi-embarrassing shit on Twitter all the time! Also fortunately, probably for both of us, I don’t really PvP all that much anymore (even though it means free gems!). We could always try and queue for the same BG at the same time though, if you want to dick around. Just give me a holler.

Thanks for the good-bye, and I’m really glad you enjoyed the mess around here.

• At 2010.01.19 16:59, Kal said:

I’m not hugely surprised, but I’m still bummed. You were one of my biggest inspirations in writing, and yours was the blog that I’d drop everything to read. You still have the best style of any of the folks writing about wow have ever had; you managed to be informative, helpful, clear, correct and downright fun to read.

I hope you keep writing in some fashion, even if it’s not about WoW.

Cheers bro :)

• At 2010.01.21 12:02, Runycat said:

I have to say that that’s probably the greatest thing anyone has ever said about this blog, and I really appreciate it (and really, I feel the same way about Think Tank!). I’m hoping that at some point in time in the future I’ll be able to return to this, but I kind of feel like real life punched me in the face and diverted my attention from competitive raiding and theorycrafting – which, of course, I found hugely important to the success of the blog.

Regardless, hopefully soon, I’ll be setting up a more personal/professional writing blog for marketing purposes. We’ll see. Take care, and enjoy being a new dad! The picture you posted was super cute.

• At 2010.01.19 18:28, Keeva said:

/waves

Cya round, Runy.

• At 2010.01.21 11:59, Runycat said:

Yes indeedy! Take care!

• At 2010.01.19 20:44, Razor said:

We lost too many ferals in the last months. Is this the beginning of the end for WoW? Perhaps. Maybe not. However, you will be missed. Thanks a lot and best of luck!

• At 2010.01.21 11:59, Runycat said:

Beginning of the end for WoW? I somehow doubt it; think of this like a “changing of the guard.” Some of the older players (in terms of /played time, not age) are finally realizing that they have other priorities and/or can’t continue to balance real life, theorycraft, raiding competitively, writing, and updating on a regular basis. There are plenty of other bloggers who will step up to the proverbial plate.

Thanks for the well-wishing, and take care! I’m glad you enjoyed my blog.

• At 2010.01.20 11:57, Rahl said:

BB will miss both you and Kalon allot!

• At 2010.01.21 11:57, Runycat said:

Thanks! Take care!

• At 2010.01.23 03:25, Tristan said:

Sorry that this is late, but thanks a lot for the blog and your support for The Elitists in my early days. Best of luck Runy and thanks for all you’ve done.

• At 2010.01.23 11:07, Runycat said:

Better late than pregnant, m i rite? No problem, dude. I hope that sometime in the future I’ll have time to return to both blogging and competitive raiding, but for now, it’s time to focus on some other stuff.

Take care!

• At 2010.01.24 08:47, Wai Wurrie said:

The blogosphere won’t be the same without you and your wonderful double entendres, Runy!

I’ve followed you ever since that wonderful Twisted Nether podcast with yourself and Phaelia.

All the best in your present and future endeavours!

• At 2010.01.27 15:21, K said:

Still my favourite cat with a microphone.

Hope you come back to writing sometime.

• At 2010.03.30 07:55, Runycat said:

Maybe in Cataclysm, if I stick around until then! Who knows?

• At 2010.01.31 15:14, Aleanathem said:

/salute
                            Found your blog a bit late, but always enjoyed the posts! See ya around on Twitter.