Although this shouldn't really come as a shock to anyone who's noticed that there hasn't been an update here in months, Unbearably HoT is closed for business–for now. Back in October when I initially stopped posting, I had canceled my WoW subscription. I figured hey, it's been 3.5 years, I somehow landed a husband via raiding, my office workload tripled, I didn't have the energy to raid in the capacity I like to, and I ostensibly had no regrets moving on.
Except that really, I did. When you're involved in not only a game, but a community, for that long, it's very difficult to walk away from. I truly didn't expect the e-mails I received asking where I'd been, if I'd be updating my gear list, or when I'd start posting again. For that, thank-you. But ask any blogger out there, especially Kalon, who has also recently stepped off the feral stage, and they'll happily explain that you generally can't crank out a post in an hour and expect it to be any good. My process normally went a little like this:
- Come up with an idea and sit on it for a week.
- Finally write a few paragraphs to see whether or not anything interesting or helpful can come of it. (I really cannot begin to express how many things I've started writing about and eventually shelved, whether because my writing was terrible or because someone else posted about something similar; my flash drive is full of attempts such as these.)
- Research. Sometimes it's as simple as digging through blue posts and the latest WoW news. Sometimes, it means taking out a calculator. For what it's worth, I am absolutely terrible at even simple math, and any post that included such numbers received triple proofing.
- Fret over previous step, and send to someone else to read over (generally my husband or Phaelia).
- Create images, if the post needs any. This involves some quality time with the usually broken model viewer and Photoshop.
- Upload images, format post.
And, of course, this all takes time. With the economy such as it is, many of us are working twice as hard for the same amount of money. I've also been working on my own writing, in hopes of a future publication. I cannot currently justify expending the effort that you, my audience, deserves on any sort of a regular schedule. Will that change in the future when things slow down? More than likely! In the meantime, thanks for all the support, and don't let your fellow raiders convince you to use your offspec for any Restoration purposes.