Everybody hop on the loot train!

Posted in Cat, Feral, Guide, Weapons on Sep 15, 2009

As promised, I’ve gone through the 3.2 DPS Gear Spreadsheet and updated it with all the new Coliseum items, including the crafted Leatherworking pieces. You’ll also find that some of the numbers look a little different than before—that’s because some of the stat values changed. Remember:

• Please to brain. Although gear is first sorted by the number of sockets, the number of sockets do not necessarily guarantee the best piece of gear.
  • Armor Penetration is currently the best stat to stack at higher gear levels, so long as you have at least 50% Critical Strike chance and approximately 230 ArP. Generally speaking, your goal is to pick up ~600 ArP via gear and gemming and then pair that with Grim Toll, Mjolnir Runestone or the Banner of Victory.
  • Because ArP requires varying quantities to hit the soft-cap (based on what trinket you have, for example), the spreadsheet prioritizes AGI over ArP. ArP is still awesome, so make sure you’re paying attention to that column.
  • There may be errors. If you find any (or have another suggestion), please shoot me an e-mail via my Contact page so that I can fix the spreadsheet as soon as possible.

In the near future, I’ll also be providing four different gearing options (with and without tier gear and/or heroic loot) which prioritize ArP without sacrificing the rest of your stats. I’m holding this up until I can make a proper suggestion for 3.2.2. as well. For now, here are a number of other posts from around the blogosphere detailing different takes on ArP in 3.2.2. Please note that I am not of the “Fuck it, gem AGI” camp.

• The Fluid Druid’s ArP FAQ Part 1 and 2. This has a very accurate depiction of how ArP performs at varying gear levels and is generally where I’m leaning.
  • Vallen’s “3.2.2. ArP Nerf & You.
  • Kalon’s “Cat’s 3.2. Coliseum Loot Ranking.” No, it’s not really about ArP, but it’s a similar loot ranking list. Relevant, I swear.

• At 2009.09.16 02:48, Shy said:

Will ArP still be the stat to go to for feral after the nerf then? I’ve been holding off on spending badges until I saw some theorycrafting on it, since most of the badge buyable stuff has quite a bit of ArP.

• At 2009.09.16 08:05, Runycat said:

There have been a number of posts regarding these changes around the blogosphere, and in general, they’ve been fairly divided. Armor Penetration is still useful; however, because you need more of it and therefore may need to sacrifice other stats to pick it up, it becomes more expensive. Because of this, many Druids (especially those at lower gear levels) will choose to socket/stack straight AGI. If, however, you’re wearing Ulduar gear and working through the Coliseum (on Heroic, particularly), you’ll find that you can pick up an absurd amount of “natural ArP” on gear. If you combine that with a plethora of Fractured Cardinal Rubies (and one Nightmare Tear), you can indeed hit and/or come close to 800 ArP (which may be the new It number).

Just remember: even if you hit 800 ArP, if you crit is suffering (I use 50% unbuffed as a bare minimum), your Hit is terrible and/or you have zero Expertise, you’ll probably be going nowhere fast.

• At 2009.09.17 07:48, Shy said:

Thank you, for this reply, but also for the new post, great ^_^

• At 2009.09.16 11:10, Alaron said:

Runy,

I shall now delete my entire FAQ Part 1 and replace it with “Fuck it, gem AGI.” :)

I think I got too much in detail when I wrote the damn thing. The only reason I wrote it was because nightcrowler’s math on EJ got distorted quite a bit. All of a sudden, “start looking at regemming When you have 250 ArP, ArP trinket, and full 25-man buffs,” became “regem at 250 ArP for ZOMG DPS!” I really just want to say, “look, it’s a complicated question, go get Rawr or Toskk’s calc and figure it out for your personal gear, it’s based on a lot of stuff.”

• At 2009.09.16 11:25, Runycat said:

Funny story: when I got the notification in my inbox that I had a comment, I accidentally clicked on a different e-mail (without knowing) that started out with the lines: :-) Call me, I’d love to catch up. I stared at it for a full minute until I realized you weren’t trying to give me your number.

Even without the line graphs and repeating decimals, you can apply some basic common sense to the whole dilemma: if ArP is still very valuable but it’s now more expensive to stack, can I afford to “pay” for it? At lower gear levels where you’re often struggling to get close to a hit or expertise cap and/or surpass 50% crit, you’d think that folks would realize it doesn’t make sense to go balls-out with ArP.

On the other hand, if you’re rocking Ulduar gear and the shiny new Coliseum shit, you probably have enough of the aforementioned stats to get by with ArP all over the place.

Of course we needed to make it more complicated. Now that I actually have some “free” time, I’m finally finishing up some of my thoughts.

• At 2009.09.16 13:38, Kal said:

Nice work :)

I’m curious about a couple rankings and the methodology. You’ve ranked Gormok’s Band as the top ring and the Snow Bandit shoulders as top. Is this mostly because of the sockets?

And yeah, the arpen thing has gotten way too weird for people to deal with. I don’t know why there’s so much animosity; there are plenty of good choices for people to make, and in general as long as they’re stacking agi or armor pen and they’re trying to stay close to the hit/exp caps (or know what to do if they miss a lot) they’re going to be fine if they’re already fine. I think people simply don’t trust their own judgment and are too worried about following the common big theorycrafters instead of trying to understand what the stats do for them and what they work best with.

• At 2009.09.16 13:47, Runycat said:

Thanks. The issue is the sockets. I should probably insert a few more comments here and there, because there are quite a few instances in which the “data sorting” automatically places certain items at the top of the list when they’re actually not “the best.” I tried to give a general disclaimer regarding that and/or highlight the items folks should ideally be aiming for, but I may just have to see if I can write a better formula.

I actually find the ArP changes interesting, because it gives me a lot to play around with – and maybe that’s what folks aren’t interested in. I think to utilize it effectively, you really need to closely evaluate your own gear/playstyle and synch that up (and, you know, input all of your shit into a spreadsheet.) I really do think it’s a lot easier to socket AGI and be done with it, but I’m also reasonably certain that’s not how I’ll end up rolling. Ultimately, I’m still not 100% positive there are going to be significant DPS gains going the way of ArP.

It just seems like such a shame to let it go to waste when you can aquire 500+ ArP rating naturally from gear.

• At 2009.09.16 14:10, Runycat said:

Honestly, some of the discrepancies can be easily cleared by axing anything with STR (despite the fact that, technically, it’s usable.)