Revelations 6:1-8 The Four Horsemen

Posted in Guide, Raiding on Dec 02, 2008

Most, if not all boss encounters in both normal and heroic Naxxramas are relatively straight forward: DPS beats things, the tanks generate threat, healers play the bar graph game, and everyone makes sure they’re not standing in shit on the ground. Sure, there are tricks and gimmicks to everything; for example, kiting the Zombie Chow during Gluth’s encounter (if you have the tools to do it) is much easier on healers than standing there and letting 85 damage-increasing diseases (no exaggeration) stack on you.

But it rather goes without saying that waltzing into the Four Horsemen’s chamber without knowing what’s up essentially sets you up for failure. To that end, I’ve outlined a two-healer strategy for the 10-man encounter that involves a series of first-grade drawings. Use at your own peril, and note that updates and tweaking will follow.

For reference purposes, colors and numbers are as follows:

• 1 = Lady Blaumeux
  • 2 = Thane Kor’Thazz
  • 3 = Baron Rivendare
  • 4 = Sir Zeliek
  • Red = Bosses
  • Brown = Warrior (substitute another melee tank if you’d like)
  • Orange = Bear Druid (substitute another melee tank if you’d like)
  • White = Healers
  • Yellow = DPS
  • Blue = Ranged DPS Tanks

Abilities

For a comprehensive list of all Horsemen abilities, I recommend checking out Wowhead. All you need to know is that each Horseman can indefinitely stack a “Mark” on you if you’re within a 55 yard range that exponentially deals Shadow damage. You do not want multiple Marks from different Death Knights, and you need to make sure you’re not letting more than three stack on you at any given time.

Other notable abilities to watch out for:

• Meteor. Hey guys, remember the anubisath in AQ40 and that guy who always lagged and died? Thane Kor’thazz’s Meteor functions in a very similar way. He casts this bitch frequently and it does a stupid amount of fire damage (upwards of 50,000) split between everyone within 8 yards. As you can imagine, stacking your DPS with whichever tank is on Thane is a stellar idea. Because of this  ability and the way you need to rotate tanks and Death Knights, Thane needs to go down immediately.
  • Void Zone. Another basic DON’T STAND IN THE FIRE ability. Think Netherspite. Lady Blaumeux summons these at random intervals, and as you can imagine, you don’t want to keep standing around inside of it. The ranged tank on Blaumeux needs to be on the look out.
  • Holy Bolt. Zeliek enjoys chaining Holy damage to fry people. While this ability isn’t a major issue while only a tank is on him, as soon as the DPS moves to kill him, they need to spread out as much as possible to avoid chaining more damage than is actually necessary.

Step 1

Everyone can assume their respective positions around the room before the Horsemen are pulled; this involves getting cozy with the wall. When the melee tanks initiate the event, each horseman pulls to his or her respective corner where each tank needs to pick them up. Note the position of the healers: the tanks on Blaumeux and Zeliek need to be tanking at max range, and the two tanks on Kor’thazz and Rivendare can’t shove themselves in the corner. The healer positions guarantee that they can hit each corner without taking multiple marks from different Death Knights.

All DPS starts by the tank on Kor’Thazz, in the case of my diagram, by the Warrior. Because Kor’Thazz’s Meteor deals much of the raid wide damage, your DPS needs to be spot on and nuke the shit out of him instantly: cooldowns, Heroism if you have it, explosionkapow! etc. In an ideal world, Kor’Thazz is killed before the first switch or at least after the second. It’s imperative that everyone stays grouped up to mitigate his Meteor damage, and whenever a transition is about to occur (covered in Step 2), melee needs to hover near the pick-up tank to diffuse the damage.

Step 2

The Horsemen will all be casting their respective marks of blah, Rivendare and Kor’Thazz with more frequency than their counterparts. Once each tank has his or her third mark, it’s time to pull the ol’ switcharoo. The melee tanks will move to the middle of the path where the arrows intersect and Taunt. In effect, the melee tanks do nothing except pull a different Death Knight back to their original corners. DPS stays with the first tank to let their marks wear off and gets some damage in on Rivendare. The tank left alone with Kor’Thazz (me, lol) takes considerable damage and will likely use cooldowns during that period of time to diffuse healer angst. Barkskin is great to save for transitions.

The two ranged tanks will also switch after every third mark is cast, but instead of taunting and pulling the Horsemen to separate corners, only the tanks will switch. If you’re not savvy to watching your own debuffs, at least make sure you have a boss timer type mod to facilitate knowing when marks will hit. Rinse and repeat.

Step 3

Kor’Thazz DIES. Sweet! The DPS will wait until his marks have faded and will then move on to Rivendare. RIVENDARE DIES. If necessary, the melee tanks can still alternate Rivendare to alternate corners to avoid stacking too many debuffs, but the DPS will still take extra marks. At this point in time, a spare ranged DPS can head back to Blaumeux and offer some transition rotation relief to the ranged tanks.

Step 4

With Rivendare and Thane dead, the two melee tanks and the DPS let their debuffs drop and then run to the back of the chamber to help kill Blaumeux. DPS now needs to watch out for the dreaded Void Zones and for realz tanks can take over. If Blaumeux does not die after three marks have been applied, the tanks and DPS need to rotate to Zeleik and repeat. Because Blaumeux casts marks at a lower frequency than Kor’Thazz or Rivendare, it’s likely that you’ll kill her without needing to switch again.

Step 5

Ding dong, the bitch is dead! All healers and DPS move onto Zel and kill him. Stay spread out.

Step 6

Collect loot.

• At 2008.12.02 11:18, Spectrum said:

Wow, that’s a crazy fight. Recent life events have prevented me from hitting 80, so I haven’t had a chance to go for it myself.

What I wonder about is getting people to understand this fight and execute it. It looks way too complex for a PUG. :D

• At 2008.12.02 11:59, Runycat said:

As complex as it may or may not seem, it’s definitely easily executable with a PUG if you’ve got competent tanks and healers.

• At 2008.12.02 15:22, Copey said:

Isn’t almost every encounter fairly easy if you have cometent tanks and healers? Hence the reason everybody is constantly /2 LFG Need Tank/Heals and GTG!!!

• At 2008.12.03 08:14, Runycat said:

No, actually. We put such a massive emphasis on having good tanks and healers, but the fact remains that if the DPS is slacking, we’re still not going to be able to kill anything. Now, is it exponentially more difficult finding superior tanks and healers? Absolutely. But we definitely need to make sure that everyone is rocking hard and doing his or her part.

• At 2008.12.03 10:00, Copey said:

While I agree with you in theory, I guess I’ve just ran too many pugs and not enough guild runs. I very, very seldom think to myself man if we didn’t have this DPS person here we would be screwed. They (at least most of them that I get into pugs with) just don’t tend to really care about anything other then topping the damage meters and then yelling at me when I intentionally let them die after they pull agro yet again.

I will admit though I grouped with a rogue the other day, and he blew me away. We were doing some instance with 4 and 5 pulls, and he was of course sapping, as to be expected. What I did not expect, is with out being asked (because I didn’t really ever think of it) was he was blinding another after I made the initial pull. He was CCing two mobs, and still doing a TON of damage yet I never had to fight him for aggro. He played so well, and I was blown away because my standard for DPS (and rogues especially) has to be set pretty low from my experience.

Maybe it’s just me and my bias towards tanking or healing, as I’ve done both a lot. But when I DPS fell like it’s a little vacation because it’s easier to me.

• At 2009.01.23 12:17, Gaz said:

Hehe Copey – sound to me like u just need to join a decent guild. Pugs suck bottom line and most people who pug are selfish unpleasant characters that are unable to function amongst other people, can not survive in a guild and are therefor forced to pug there way dog-eat-dog through the game (your rogue friend being one of the few exceptions). But there is a guild out there im sure ud fit right into….

• At 2009.01.23 12:56, Runycat said:

I disagree. Although they’ve got a bad reputation and I generally try to avoid them, pugs don’t always “suck” and are certainly not all selfish, unpleasant characters. Why isn’t a person guilded?

It’s VERY presumptuous to think that they’re not guilded because they can’t survive in one or that their personalities are crazy. Did you ever consider that that individual, who may be a superior player, has a real life schedule that doesn’t permit raiding on a regular basis? That maybe they couldn’t get in a guild raid for that particular week but still wanted to run something?

Yes, I’d much rather run an instance with people who I know are reliable, and introducing pick-up players to a group is a little bit like playing Russian Roulette (you never know what you’re going to get). Just do your research: look up their armory profile, ask if your group has ever heard of this person, and if they are guilded, consider that guild’s reputation.

On servers with tight-knit communities (like Mal’ganis), exceptional pugs go on ALL the time. Try not to jump to conclusions.

• At 2008.12.04 11:29, Chasten Preistly said:

Have you tried your strategy out, and did it work for you? Are the healers on the side really able to out-range all the marks and still get range for healing?

• At 2008.12.04 11:43, Runycat said:

In all honesty, the biggest problem were the two ranged tanks forgetting that they need to switch sides after three marks each. If the positioning is correct, the healers are good. I’ve been told that using three healers for this particular encounter makes it trivial, but as long as your healers are dynamic, you should be fine.