Swinging both ways: pussy one day, bare the next.

Posted in WotLK on Oct 03, 2008

According to a recent blue post, spec switching is going to happen. Tigole says:

We’re defintiely [sic] pursuing the ability to switch specs. The details are still being debated internally but we do have plans that would allow for players to switch between specs.

He goes on to explain that this functionality likely wouldn’t be available at release (although really, would you even need it before you’re 80?) and would probably be included in a subsequent patch. While I’m clearly excited about making a switch from tanking to DPS in the blink of an eye (without having to compromise and consolidate talent points), this would also allow dr00ds to swing back and forth from Restoration to Balance, Balance to Feral, Feral to Resto, PVE to PVP—you get the picture. I also think this will help fill gaps in raiding, especially for those sexy 10 man progression guilds that are forming up. Sally Healerbot out for the evening but you have a surplus of tanks? Opt out of a beatdown and get your paws on some wood!

Finally, a change well worth waiting for.

• At 2008.10.03 12:56, Andurial (Kylnor) said:

This would make leveling easier for resto droods if it were available at release and still make it fairly easy for us to heal instances. Of course, how healing intensive are 5 mans as you’re leveling that an experienced healer really couldn’t heal them as balance anyway? On a side note, I broke 2400 healing =) Go me!

• At 2008.10.03 13:03, Runycat said:

I think that, while it might not be optimal, you’ll definitely be able to successfully heal most entry-level WotLK instances without being Restoration specced. I haven’t tried it, personally, but if I’m at 2k healing with 14k mana Feral specced and in healing gear, I doubt it’ll be an issue.

• At 2008.10.03 15:51, Andurial (Kylnor) said:

Very true… Skill will dictate most of that. Plus I can go be an uber pew pew laser chicken who makes the sky fall down and make leveling to 80 go much faster =)

• At 2008.10.03 13:29, Mitch said:

I hope they have more than two specs available for you to switch around to, even if they add something akin to a gold sink to get a third/fourth spec to switch between. I only PvPed resto/dreamstate for a couple months but having to respec at least twice a week (sometimes four) really caught up to me. Especially since I’m not only enchanting feral dps/tank gear, but now resto gear.

With the somewhat bloated feral tree I would likely have 4-5 trees I would like to switch between: tank, PvE kitty, PvP kitty, PvP resto, and possibly PvP dreamstate (if there will be something similar again in the xpac) and PvE resto. (no intention of full boomkin >.< don’t want my feathers ruffled *zing*)

That’s why I love mah durid, so versatile. Sadly, that is also the durid’s bane because it takes so much time and gold to upkeep that versatility. If only it were as easy as the trolls make it out to be.

• At 2008.10.03 13:31, Mitch said:

On a side note, I just realized how much I will hate glyphs . . . . .

• At 2008.10.03 13:40, Runycat said:

Unless live is wildly different than beta, I think that glyphs should be cheap enough to interchange on a whim. We’ll see.

• At 2008.10.04 05:16, Sydera said:

This is exciting news! I would love to maintain PvE and PvP resto specs. Part of the bother of switching is recreating the perfect build each time. I would love to have them saved somewhere!