Popping Some Wood: Feral Q&A Points to Barkskin Usable in Dire Bear

Posted in Feral, WotLK on Sep 17, 2008

According to a recent blue Feral Q&A featured at MMO-Champion, Barkskin may now function as a “Shield Block” ability for Bears:

Please pass us some further details as to what other tanking talents/abilities we will be given to help cover the differences between feral tanking and humanoid tanking.
We have to be careful here. Our goal is to make sure all the tanks can do the job, so we want to make sure we don’t give druids an ability that will push them over the edge. Druids were really good tanks in BC, especially near the end of the content. I don’t feel that we are having to make up a huge deficit. I understand you want to have more buttons to push, but compared to BC you now have new cooldowns like Berserk and Barkskin, and some old groaners like Tiger’s Fury and Frenzied Regeneration actually do something cool now.

What! As of the latest beta build, Barkskin is a 12 second spell that reduces all damage taken by 20%. That includes Spell Damage, folks. Couple that with Protector of the Pack, and you can have a ~35% overall damage reduction for 12 seconds to get you through a few rough spots. A total solution to the Druid tanking shitstorm? Maybe not, but it’d be a nice addition if we don’t have to leave Dire Bear to cast it.

Compare to the new Shield Block (with a 1 minute cooldown).

• At 2008.09.17 11:24, Faerun said:

Yeah, GC told us a week or so ago it was in his build, but not ours.

• At 2008.09.17 11:40, Runycat said:

Last week was stupidly busy. I’m still getting caught up.

• At 2008.09.17 12:11, Kal said:

Two things –

damage reduction is multiplicative, not additive.
      Protector of the pack only counts other people in your party, not you.

So we’ll get a 120%*112% reduction, or slightly less than 35%. But you might’ve already knew that and was making it simple. :p

It actually compares fairly well to shield block in terms of overall mitigation. It’s no shield wall, but I’ll take anything I can get.

• At 2008.09.17 12:15, Runycat said:

I know well enough by now that actually illustrating simple math is something that I generally blow at doing without making a million mistakes. Yes, simplified. I actually haven’t been on beta since Protector of the Pack was implemented, and I actually had some reader chew me out awhile ago because it was apparently “common sense that you would be counted as a member of your party” (whereas I originally said ~12%). I’m just here for general information and opinion. I’ll leave the complex algorithms to EJ.

Still, I’ll take it. I’d even take it if I had to make a macro to use it.

• At 2008.09.17 16:57, Kai said:

Hm. Current beta build still shifts me out when I click it. Ah well, I’m sure it’ll change soon.

• At 2008.09.18 05:06, Runycat said:

Here today!

• [...] this week, we knew that Barkskin would be usable in Dire Bear Form and you can read more about this change over at Unbearably [...]

• At 2008.09.18 12:07, Thalium said:

Anyone else think Protector of the Pack is gonna get nerfed? Just 1 point into it gets you all the damage reduction.

On a further note, why in the hell should it matter how many people are in your group? Do they really not want solo bears having the damage reduction?

• At 2008.09.18 12:52, Runycat said:

I’m not sure if it means that the talent will be nerfed, or whether they’re trying to let Bears pick up some other random talents if they’d like without being penalized (even more) in terms of survivability. I don’t know why you wouldn’t want a 60% damage boost, but hey.

I agree entirely about the group bonus. I think it’s stupid that you need to rely on other people to get what should be a base damage reduction talent.

• At 2008.09.18 13:32, Kal said:

It’s just a stupid tooltip bug. Still requires 3 points to get the full bonus.